A periodic blog about Games, Books, Movies, Pop culture, Technology and whatever else I happen to feel like writing about...

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Caylus: Is this the Second Coming?

While I was recently in Recife visiting Karen, I had the chance to play Caylus with Flavio and his brother. This was an interesting session, as neither of us is fluently bilingual English-Portuguese, so the questions, explanations and game play were very interesting, to say the least.

I had previously read some of the info on the Geek, so I had some idea of what to expect, but, I must confess, I did not really grasp the game until we had played a few rounds.

The mechanic of placing workers into buildings that grant actions is interesting, as well as the fact that you can use a building that another player built by giving them a point and possibly some other benefit. I can see how early investment in buildings could provide good payoffs.

I have to wonder if the castle building section might become the most heavily-contested, though. In our game, the winner (Flavio) was the player who had most heavily built there, making good use of the resulting free build favours. I will have to play some more, as well as to read the Geek discussions to see if this is a continuing trend. I can definitely see how the first parts of the game will be more resource poor, as the Provost will certainly move to stop a few buildings from producing in the early game, while in the late game, it will be very costly to move him far enough to make a real difference.

Again, I don't have enough games under my belt to be able to say anything definitive, and these observations might change after some time.

I enjoyed the game, for all that it took me some time to get to grips with the system, learning how to turn buildings into production into points. I was not, however, struck the same was as I initially was by Puerto Rico, which I feel is a truly ingenious game, and I am not sure that Caylus is the next Puerto Rico.

I will have to play some more. I know, it's a tough job, but someone has to do it... 8-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home