A periodic blog about Games, Books, Movies, Pop culture, Technology and whatever else I happen to feel like writing about...

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Battlestar Galactica

Like many young geeks, I was a big fan of Battlestar Galactica. I have fond memories of seeing the original pilot as a theatrical movie at the drive-in with one of my friends and his father. (Of course, in the theatrical release, Baltar dies at the end!)

I was frankly not expecting much from the new series, especially when I heard that Starbuck was going to be a woman. I mean, Starbuck had always been Dirk Benedict, the happy go lucky, cigar smoking, pyramid playing, womanizing pilot.

Since I was a geek teenager, he seemed like a damn fine role model at the time. At least he got dates! (For the record, I was more like straight arrow Appollo, and I had no dates)

Well, I am not ashamed to say that I was wrong. The new Battlestar Galactica is a great show, one of the best SF series to come around in a long time. Even though the budget is minimal, advances in computer generated special effects mean that the show looks great, and the actors do a wonderful job of bringing the essential humanity to their often conflicted characters. Edward James Olmos is fantastic as Commander Adama, the military leader of the remnants of the colonial fleet, while James Callis, as Gaius Baltar, is doing an amazing job of portraying what has become one of the most interesting characters to come around in a long time. We can really see him being torn by his loyalty to humanity, his involvement with the Cylons and his own personal greed and desire to save himself.

Having avidly watched all thirteen episodes of season one, I can say that I am very much anticipating season two, and am very curious how the writers will deal with some of the issues that they have raised.

So say we all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home