A periodic blog about Games, Books, Movies, Pop culture, Technology and whatever else I happen to feel like writing about...

Friday, February 18, 2005

Twilight Imperium -- Colin's 40th Birthday

My best friend Colin, who is 36 days older than I am, recently celebrated his 40th birthday. His wife, Amy, had invited Cim and I over to their place for a birthday dinner. We were pleased to see that Paul and Sylvie, along with their 10 month old son Isaac, were also there. Sylvie had been a regular member of the pool league team that Colin and I had run for some time, and it is always good to see old friends.

Paul had also been a member of the team, playing mostly as a substitute when we were short, and is also a devotee of boardgames. (Though, in his own words, he "prefers simple games with lots of killing") Needless to say, the evening was full of quotes from Monty Python, Evil Dead, stories of games past and postulations on the suckability/greatness of the forthcoming Star Wars Episode 3. We adopted a cautious wait and see mentality.

Earlier in the week, I had gone to my FNGS to see what I could pick up for Colin to commemorate this important milestone. I had considered picking up Blood Feud in New York, but what did I see when I entered the store but Twilight Imperium, 3rd edition.

Now, any game that allows six players to engage in interplanetary war, trade, diplomacy and other assorted shenanigans definitely fits our style. The fact that it came with hundreds of miniature spaceships was just the icing on the cake.

Colin really appreciated the gift, and he spent the next day punching and bagging the tokens, clipping the ships from the sprues and reading the rules. He then called me to let me know how much he appreciated it, and that made my day. Colin is one of the nicest, most loyal people that I know, and there is nothing that he would not do for a friend. Of course, that all goes out the window when the game is on!

I don't know how long it will take to get the guys together for a game, but I do know that Twilight Imperium 3 is definitely on the agenda. However good the game is, the best part will be getting together with some good friends, like Colin, Cim and Mike, who are also great guys and fun to be around.

And that is what it is all about , isn't it? Or maybe it's the beer and the lunch pepperoni...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well we did get it to the table; it was with this group of good guys; there was lunch peperoni, and the game was great, but I'll let Mark tell you about it.

-Mike

2:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home